Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Time For Changes

Over the course of the past several months our household has been undergoing some changes.  Some good, some bad.  All of them are happening, so we have been working together to deal with them in the ways that we can.  One of the things that we have changed is the addition of a new workout space at home.  If anyone reading this knows me at all then you know that most of the miles I log are on a treadmill.  In the past this was done over lunch a lot at work for what I was calling "RUNCH".  (I borrowed from another runner the term "RUNCH".)  At the end of the Summer to the beginning of Fall I lost my job and this ability was stripped from me.  So, I started using our family membership at the gym we had been members of while searching for a job.  I did find a new position and started just about 2 months after I lost my previous position, but the workout facility is much more limited.  I still have access to treadmills at work, but I have been busy learning things that I haven't utilized the space much.  This is where the addition of this new space comes in.  I am now the proud owner of a treadmill!!! Thanks to my amazing wife!  We searched and found one that we could afford to help us all out.  Now I have the convenience at home and can run a little easier.  It is a good thing because I have something big coming this year.

Ever since I ran the G.O.A.T.z Trail Run and did the 21+ mile run I have not returned to trails for a run.  Now, one might say that the Spartan Race in Breckenridge and other OCR that I have done count.  I am talking about a trail run, not an OCR.  That long run was some time ago.  Now, I have been watching several runs and checking out ones that I want to do....eventually.  One of these is called The Hawk in Kansas.  They have 3 distances at this race: a trail marathon, a 50 mile, and a 100 mile.  My goal race is to complete at least one 100 mile race.  Obviously getting there means that I have to work for it and probably hit some of the shorter runs after it.  In the past I have attempted a road marathon twice and had to drop to the half both times for different reasons each time.  Well, the stars aligned and I trained my butt off for Breckenridge.  Let's see what I can do for a trail race.  I have officially signed up for The Hawk 50 on September 8th, 2018.  It is going to take a lot of work to get ready, but I know that I can make it.

Lately I have been thinking about my life and how my training fits in or should fit in. I know that I will never be an elite and I will likely never have a podium finish or be good enough to qualify for The Boston Marathon or Western States, but that isn't going to stop me from running or exercising to better myself.  I have had and want to continue to have amazing experiences with friends and family; not to mention the creation of new friendships.  So I will continue to do these long runs, OCRs, wacky runs, or other fitness events to help keep me healthy and to make life interesting.

For a while now I have entered different giveaways, winning some and losing most.  However, I still enter because it is always nice to dream.  In this same spirit I have a race ahead of The Hawk 50 that I will be running thanks to GNC and me being a Pro member.  They gave away 5 entries into any Spartan Race in the US for the remainder of 2018 and I happened to be 1 of those 5.  So, I chose the Spartan Busch Stadium Sprint in St Louis, MO after I spoke to a buddy that is going and have a troupe going together.

Spartan Busch Stadium Sprint

As I was looking at hotels Sierra came and asked me what I was doing.  I told her that I was looking hotels for the race and she asked if she could go.  Including a point that she has never got to go to a race with me.  I didn't think that she was serious at first, but it turned out that she was.  I looked and they do have a Spartan Kids race that she can do.  I spoke to my wife, then talked with Sierra about needing to do extra training specifically for it including some straight runs beyond what she does for all star cheer.  She said, "Wait!!! I CAN GO!!! YEAH! Dad, I need a training plan."  I knew that Spartan had a Kids Training Plan that I could easily download and give her as a base and we'd build on that.  Needless to say, she is excited to run her first OCR and go with me.

Sierra's 1st training run with me.
In support of my needs to train (or practice) I am happy to be a Nuun Ambassador (otherwise known as a Nuunbassador) for a 3rd year in a row.  I have been using the products to help with hydration for several years. As of my training for the Spartan Beast last year I started using their Nuun Performance line to help with other needs.  It has the electrolytes that I need to stay hydrated, but it also incorporates carbohydrates to help support your energy needs.  I just ordered some Orange Mango as I have been using the Blueberry Strawberry.  My worry is that my stomach will react to the orange part, but I will see as I train for The Hawk and whatever comes my way this year.  Tiny chance I'll also sign up for the Hitchcock Hundred's 50 mile.  Very tiny chance!

Honey Stinger HiveTo help support me even further I was honored and welcomed into the Honey Stinger Hive as a Honey Stinger Ambassador for 2018.  Not something that said too much about in the past, but I have used the Waffles quite a bit. They are very yummy!  I also have used the Chews, but those have become my race gummy bears when I need that something sweet during a run.  I have used the gels once or twice, but have bought a small stock for now to get me going and to find my favorite flavors.  There is a Mango Orange that might pair well with the Orange Mango Nuun Performance.  I haven't tried that combo just yet.



And for a bit of entertainment.  There is a musician/dad/runner named David Rosales.  I found him recently on the Ultrarunner Podcast (URP) and he has this amazing song that incorporates his running and being a family man into one awesome song.  So, for your viewing and listening pleasure...."Good to Be Alive" by David Rosales.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please roll your comments out for me to read.