Monday, August 21, 2017

Down to the Wire


I only have a few days prior to running the Spartan Race Beast in Breckenridge, CO.  I'm UBER excited, but also UBER scared.  I have questions running through my head: Did I train right? Did I run enough? Have I done enough upper body or core strengthening? Will I get altitude sickness and not be able to perform? Will I get hurt? Will I DNF for any reason? Can I handle the 13+ miles at elevation?



Even though these questions keep running through my head I keep shaking them out and telling myself that no matter what, I will endure.  I'll call on the Spartan grit to make it through.  Sure, given some of my weaknesses I will probably end up doing about 300 burpees for failed obstacle penalties, but it will be water under the bridge when I jump that fire and cross the finish line to earn my Beast medal.  I think that last time I ran that I looked pretty good, but it has been a while so the fears keep creeping in.


I mean, I was able to complete the Wall Traverse at my first Spartan event.  Granted, it was "only" a Spartan Sprint.  I have specifically been working lately on grip strength to help with this type of obstacle this time.  I don't think I'm much stronger upper body-wise and in my core though.  In fact, I am afraid that I am weaker.  No matter, I will do my best on every obstacle and I will do the burpees if needed.

Until next time, keep those beats coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please roll your comments out for me to read.